Planning a camping trip? For thinking about taking a camp trip and want to know the family camping essentials? We got you covered.
I remember the first time I took my kids camping. My babies were 4 years old. We went with my best friend, her husband, her brother and aunt and uncle. I thought it was going to be a lot of work with two kids and I would have an okay time. I knew only one thing. My kids would sleep since they were amazing sleepers. My first family experience camping went really well. Now, I love camping and so does my family. I enjoy spending time with the family and friends. It is nice to take a break from the busyness of our world. It is great to see the kids outside, playing at the park, swimming and creating new experiences and memories.
What to Cook
Looking for recipes? You will have to prep ahead for what you are planning to eat. hamburgers and hot dogs are easy to cook with no problem. You can also try out these great recipes to switch it up and have a little flavor to your food selection.
I would recommend bringing paper plates, plastic cups, plastic utensils and cooking utensils. You can use the firepit to cook and/or a camp stove or portable grill. And don’t forget the matches (lighter or propane fuel).
What Family Camping Essentials to Pack
I would recommend packing some items that are essentials and will make camping a little bit easier if you know something right off the bat.
- You will definitely need a tent. If you opt to go without one, have fun with that especially with kids. We started with a simple tent and have upgraded to a much larger tent.
- You can do sleeping bags or an air mattress. We prefer the air mattress due to the multiple uses when we are not camping. An air mattress is good for the summer and spring months. You can also use an outdoor mattress pad as well which is great in the colder months. Don’t forget the sheets, blankets and pillows.
- Flashlight for night time visits to the bathroom, looking for something in the dark in the tent or something to entertain the kids with.
- Not a necessity but a canopy tent is great to have. We usually use to cover our picnic table and decorate with lights and sometimes a fan. You can get a screened canopy that will be great for protecting you from mosquitoes.
- Folding chairs for hanging out by the fire or if you need extra seating.
What Family Camping Accessories You Can Bring
Here are some accessories you can bring depending on weather and where you are camping.
- Waterproof socks are great when you expect rainy or wet weather
- LED lights integrated tent when you figure to bring an extra flashlight (or lost a flashlight) for the kids.
- An upgrade from a flashlight that recharges and can be used by multiple family members with this lantern.
- Having a hammock is great to have if you know you will be in an area with lots of trees.
What Family Camping Essentials to Do
Depending on where you camp you can do things from canoeing to movie night. Some camp sites have hiking and biking trails. You can rent a boat and go tubing or fishing (make sure you have a fishing license). Most camp sites have a small park for the kids and a swimming area around the lake.
Honestly, I think everyone should give camping a go. I say try at least 2-3 times because it takes awhile to get used to planning and prepping. And if you need help with that I love the Dating Divas Family Camping Kit. This kit helps you organize and anything and everything you need to get ready for your trip.
The Family Camping Kit includes:
A binder with a packing checklist and to-do list.
A menu to make meal planning easy.
Games for some fun family bonding around the campfire.
Scavenger Hunt to keep the kids entertained around the camp site.
Campfire S’mores Kit to make the BEST part of camping an even bigger treat!
One of the best things about camping is that it’s an inexpensive getaway for anyone. So if you’re ready to plan a stress-free trip for your family, grab the Family Camping Trip Kit today!
GRAB THIS FREE CAMPING CHECKLIST
Subscribe to get our latest content by email.